Sunday, April 14, 2013

Is it Spring yet?

Happy Sunday and many blessing to you!
 
I hope this finds all well and maybe somewhere there is spring happening! It's not happening here, and at writing we have a heavy snow coming this way, yet again! Everyone here is dragging themselves around fornlornly, and it also looks like many areas in my province will be hit with flooding as well.  I just want the snow GONE!
 
I have been planting seeds with an eye for spring. I wish now that I had delayed planting as I am not sure when I will be able to plant them. I wasn't sure how many seeds would germinate because I haven't done this before but look what happened...I estimated about 40 plants? Hilarious! Check this out - what am I going to do with 140 tomato plants hmm?

 
 
It has been fun to watch everything grow, and I wont have to buy annuals, as I also planted marigolds
and some other ones. By the time these little guys are ready to put in the garden, our house will be overflowing with plants! Are you looking forward to spring? Planning a garden or starting seeds? I would love to hear from fellow gardeners!!
 
As I mentioned last time, I am working on art quilts! I want a quilted wall hanging for our kitchen and planned this project out for pears and grapes. At first, I wasn't happy with my background, thinking it looked like the American flag? Well maybe a little bit?
 

 
 
So, this was what I started with, using Bali pops in various green colours, and just playing with a look I liked. I drew some pears and leaves, which I will add onto my background by applique. The grapes will be in the upper right corner. Just have to get cutting out now!
 
I managed to do some reorganizing in my studio and found that I had three unfinished sweaters that I started for myself! I have committed not to knit another thing until I finish at least one of them! Does this happen to you? I am very good as a starter, but its often the finishing that kills me. Why is that? I get bored easily and like to have different wool in my hands but ....no excuse really. I think it might be the curse of being creative...sound like a good excuse??
 
Are any readers active on Etsy? I am not sure how profitable this will be - there are sooooo many people all selling the same thing? How do you make your crafts stand out? I am trying to develop an avatar for my blog which will link readers to my shop. I am not sure how difficult this is, but will keep trying.
 
Does anyone take courses on Craftsy? (http://www.craftsy.com/) I just love their classes! They often have sales on their courses and the best thing is, your classes never disappear so you can go back whenever you get the chance! My favourite right now is Ragga's "Top down Icelandic Sweater". For the first time I can watch someone knit the same way I do! I don't know what style of knitting this comes from....some refer to it as Norwegian? I just know it's how my mother and grandmother knit. My grandmother was raised in Iceland and came here when she would have been in her twenties, I think. It is very difficult to find someone to teach you if you happen to forget. I want my daughter to learn so this gets passed on and not forgotten. Thanks to Ragga for keeping it going and not switching over to English style!! I am grateful.
 
Take care everyone and we'll be praying for spring soon,with little or no flooding!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: